Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Artemis

At around 23h30 last night, as the Safran monohull was sailing under full mainsail, solent and with the automatic pilot in 22 knots of wind, a squall surprised Marc Guillemot causing the boat to accelerate away: «I was inside. The boat was on pilot and suddenly broached. The boat went over on her side with the mast in the water. I hung on to the pedestal. I very quickly shifted the keel and the boat came back up. I think I may have cracked or broken a rib,» explained Marc to his shore team on a radio link-up. Marc added: «I have informed the race directors. On medical advice, I have taken a painkiller and put on some ointment. It feels better. It would really annoy me if I had to stop. I’m going to have a rest and then see if I can hoist some canvas. I’m currently sailing with one reef in the mainsail and under solent. I’m going to keep a close eye on my state of health and if I’m suffering too much and can no longer keep up, in conjunction with the team, we will take the necessary decision. Meanwhile, I’m staying in the race.»
Custom Search